Monday, May 18, 2015

Rainy Day Boredom Buster - Paper Towel Templates



We've just emerged from a week so rainy it would make Seattle seem dry.  Naturally, I've been keeping my eye out for easy, and inexpensive boredom busters to ward off cabin fever, while we've all been stuck inside - like this great idea from Maman...je sais pas quoi faire!!!, for coloring in the dotted designs on paper towels.

While I was out at the grocery store this weekend, I made sure to grab a cheap roll of paper towels, with an interesting design.  Of course, then we woke up to a beautiful sunny day today (not that I'm complaining).  It turns out though, that coloring in the little dotted patterns is also a great way to keep hands busy during long, family read-aloud sessions(we should have another book to review, shortly).


Our markers weren't as fine as the ones they used over at Maman...je sais pas quoi faire!!!, so our designs were a little messier, but that was okay...


...because we quickly discovered...


...that if we taped the towels down (to keep them from slipping around) over white paper...


...they turned into fantastic templates for designs on the paper underneath...


...which we thought was pretty nifty.

6 comments:

Phyllis said...

How cool! I don't know if my kids would like doing this, but I would!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

That is really rather cool. And it looks like French kids get bored too :)

MaryAnne said...

Who knew paper towels could be so pretty? This is an idea I could see my kids enjoying, too!

Lucinda said...

So pretty! I'd like to do that, too. :-)

claireshomeeducation said...

This would be great for a long trip. The paper underneath could be used for wrapping paper, it's so pretty!

Ticia said...

It looks so pretty and cheerful, like you said it's perfect for a rainy day (or a read aloud)