Monday, June 20, 2011

Chocolate Milk Frosties

Today was the first day of Vacation Bible School for the children. Since, it kind of kicks off summer for us, and is a lot of fun, I wanted to have a special treat ready for them, when they got home.

But, since I also volunteered to teach the third and fourth grade class, this year, I knew I was going to be wiped out by the afternoon, and needed to keep it simple.

So, this morning, before we headed off for our "Big Apple Adventure", I made a couple of trays of chocolate ice cubes, by pouring triple chocolaty glasses of chocolate milk (we happened to have bought whole milk by accident this week, so that's what I used), into our ice cube trays, and sticking them into the freezer.


This afternoon, before a much needed nap time, I sat the children down, and placed a few of the cubes in each of their glasses...


...poured just enough milk over the chocolate milk cubes, to barely cover them...


...added straws...


...and let the children use them, to tap away at the chocolate cubes...


...until they had something that looked like icy, chocolate milk - it didn't take too long.


Icy, chocolate milk is not a bad treat on it's own.



But, when they sipped off the milky top layer, they discovered glasses full of chocolate, milkshakey goodness, waiting below.


That's even better.

It's treat to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a SIMPLE tasty treat!

Annette W. said...

YUM!

What's your big apple adventure?? We're heading to NYC soon, so I can't wait to hear!

Phyllis said...

Oh, my! I am so adding this to my Summer Bucket list!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Annette - It's the theme of our VBS. I guess the publishers thought New York City would seem pretty exotic to kids in the sticks :)

Christy Killoran said...

Oh, my kids will LOVE this!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Awesome summer treat!

Kerri